Thursday, December 4, 2008

Back from "the east"

Hi there,

I'm back from a 12 day trip to the US to see family, and while there was asked to do a reading from Havens at the seniors' housing complex where my Dad lives. I was surprised and pleased when about 35 people attended the event, and when I asked people where their sacred places were, we had some fascinating responses like:

...the battlefield cemeteries of WW 2. A woman from Britain said those fields of crosses affected her more than any other losses she heard about during the war.

...entering the Mormon Tabernacle in Utah. A woman said the feeling there was overwhelming, even though she was not a Mormon.

...standing looking at a starry sky on a clear night.

...riding horseback beside my daughter across the range

...being under the big desert sky in the Southwest

I loved listening as people talked, and those continue to be some of my favourite moments since the book came out. Do let me know if you have a place to share.
I was also interviewed recently by a writer for the Edmonton Sun for her column on Sacred Spaces and the results of that should be in her Dec. 7 column. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment